I’ll be 100% honest. When we first saw the announcement that Marvel’s New Warriors had found its Squirrel Girl, but before we knew who she was, I was a little nervous. After all, Squirrel Girl has skyrocketed in popularity recently, and there were a lot of judging eyes waiting to see who would be chosen… and we couldn’t be happier with the announcement of Milana Vayntrub as the next big Marvel TV star.
You might recognize Vayntrub for her role on This is Us, but you definitely recognize her for her role as Lily Adams in a series of AT&T commercials. What you might not know, because we just made this headcanon true ourselves, is that Lily Adams is really the secret secret identity of Squirrel Girl. You see, having become such a popular character, Doreen Green wasn’t enough of a secret identity, so she went one level deeper.
Not on-board yet? Well, follow us on this one. Through the AT&T commercials, we learn that “Lily”:
- Is baby-savvy: Doreen Green desperately wanted to be an Avenger but had to settle for being the Nanny to the child of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. And “Lily”? Well, just check out the commercial below as she not only helps get a couple of new parents a great deal on cell phone service but also gives them a subtle parenting reminder. Coincidence? WE THINK NOT!
- Doesn’t get star-struck: Doreen “auditioned” for the Avengers by saving Iron Man from Doctor Doom. That’s no small feat, especially if you’ve just met one of your heroes. She also takes care of super-kids. You can’t do all of that if you turn into a bumbling fool when you meet celebrities. And what about “Lily”? Well, just check out the commercial below. She can totally keep her cool in front of even the most famous of celebs.*
- Makes non-human friends: Doreen “Squirrel Girl” Green has a best friend named Tippy-Toe. Does that sound like a pet name? Well, it sort of is. Tippy-Toe is a squirrel. And what about “Lily”? As you can see in the commercial below, she’s been spending at least some of her time palling around with Siri. While it’s not exactly the same, it is the same kind of quirkiness that we’d expect from Squirrel Girl.
- Has super powers: Squirrel Girl has a whole list of abilities, from knuckle claws to communicating with squirrels. While “Lily” doesn’t quite have the same range of powers, she does demonstrate her telepathic powers, and that’s only one step away from communicating psychically with squirrels, right?
- Is into bedazzling…used to be into bedazzling: As you can see in the commercial below, “Lily” is clearly still into bedazzling. And while there’s nothing specifying Doreen’s opinions toward bedazzling, it’s pretty safe to say that if she doesn’t love it it’s because she’s not heard of it. Can’t you just picture Squirrel Girl sitting around on a weekend, humming her theme song and bedazzling her costume? Because that’s all we’ve been able to picture since the news broke.
So, as you can see, Milana Vayntrub was really the obvious choice to play Squirrel Girl all along. After all, she’s clearly been doing it since 2013.
*What do you mean James Van Der Beek isn't the most famous of celebs?
got a nerdy mind? Take a look around to see what we’re about, and contact us with your ideas for what you’d like to write or like to see us write! Keep up with Nerdy Minds by following @NerdyMindsMag on Twitter and liking Nerdy Minds Magazine on Facebook.